Thursday, March 29, 2007

Midnight Ramblings

I had a very restless sleep last night and found myself up at 2am flicking through old books in the bookcase. I had done some writing on my novel at around midnight and at 2am thoughts of it were gushing around in my head. I'm a girl who likes her sleep so I felt a bit like poor Old Lady Macbeth as I stumbled through the quiet house looking for something to do. And here's the thing - I wasn't sure if the ideas I was having for my writing were just the ramblings of a sleep deprived woman or if maybe they were as useful as I thought they were. The upshot is I'll never know because I couldn't bring myself to turn the laptop back on. I wonder if other people write in the middle of the night and what the writing reads like in the cold, light of day? If I'm up at 2am tonight I might as well give it a go I've decided.

5 comments:

Jenny Beattie said...

Hi there

I was interested to hear your remarks about being awake in the night thinking about your novel. That's just started to happen to me and I've taken it for a good thing. It feels like my subconscious has got working on the story and will help me creatively. If I don't write things down instantly, they disappear!

All the best
JJ

NoviceNovelist said...

Hmmmm I'm thinking it's a good thing as well. When I had lost touch with my novel my characters weren't talking to me and I was quite berefit - so I'm taking this as a positive sign that they're back!

Good luck with your nocturnal thoughts!

Kate.Kingsley said...

I need to write things down instantly too, or they evaporate ~ I tend to get tonnes of great ideas just before I drift off to sleep (conscious mind shutting down and unconscious starting to seep out, i think), but by the time I've grabbed a pencil and paper they've gone, leaving me wide awake and grumpy about it.

Hope you have either sweet dreams or a productive late night / early morning writing session,
best wishes
Kate

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I write in my head in the middle of the night, when I have insomnia which happens from time to time, and then I get it all down first thing in the morning as that is my best writing time. Either I don't lose things inbetween, or I don't remember that I do so I don't care! For myself, I don't want to write in the middle of the night, because I need to rest my body even if I'm not sleeping. But everyone's different, and if it works for you, I'd say go with it.

NoviceNovelist said...

Thanks Kate and Zinnia - it's a tricky one isn't it? Thankfully I have slept the deep sleep of the knackered ever since that night so no recent 'brilliant' midnight thoughts!!!