Sunday, March 25, 2007

I can see clearly now...

I'm having a reflective day today after attending a really useful writing workshop yesterday at the Jubilee Library in Brighton. It was 3hrs long and looked at how to write a synopsis for your novel. It was led by Debbie Taylor (ex Mslexia editor and novelist) It deconstructed what a synopsis is and I was really interested to heat DT stressing that it was 'not a piece of creative writing but rather a map of what happens in your book.' She gave us an exercise where you had to write down the 10 main events/action/realisation that happen in your novel and it was fantastic. It really made you think. We also had to write a 'summary paragraph' of your book in 25 words. Her tip was to focus on your main character's crisis. Really hard to do but really made you think. I'm now sitting her on the sofa, late Sunday afternoon, listening to lovely music, having a glass of wine and looking back over Y'Day's notes. I feel that it has really helped me to see my story as a whole which is great for me as I was feeling overwhelmed by it all. But the mist has risen and I can see my story clearly now...the exciting thing is I think I have a complete story.

2 comments:

Rose Red Art said...

Sounds like you had a useful time at the workshop! Really useful tips you got.

That's great that the mist has lifted.

A. Writer x

NoviceNovelist said...

It was great - so good to be writing with a bit of flow again!