Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Snow, Sleet and Sunshine

Well so far today it has snowed, sleeted, blown a gale and now the sun is shinning and it's only lunchtime - freaky!!! I looked at my novel wordcount and sad to say I can't update it. But I have been working on a short story and clocked up 1300 words on that. My writing time comes in tiny, wee snatches at the moment due to 'paid' work committments and I can't really tackle the novel in a 20 or 30 min window but a short story I can. So at least I am writing. But more importantly I'm off to do some online shopping as I have just fallen in love with a gorgeous smock top in a glammy magazine!!! Oh how wonderfully shallow and so good for the soul!!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Enjoy the shopping but I beg to disagree that you can't write the novel in short bits of time like 20 minutes. In fact that twenty minute mark is how a break through some days when I just can't find the words. i set a timer and say i will only write for twenty minutes and then surpise I have managed a couple of hundred words! Try it :-)

NoviceNovelist said...

Thanks Liz - I hear what you're saying and normally I would agree but because I had such a long break from my novel - over 3 months - I find I'm writing better at the moment if I have some time to sink into it - or maybe I'm just scared of it still and making up excuses!!! Thanks for saying this - it's good to hear it. And I will try it later today when I have a tiny window. I can but give it a shot!!! Hope your writing is going well.

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I agree with Liz about the bite-sized chunks - I wrote the entire first draft of my novel in 30-60 minute sessions, and turned out 500-1000 words most times. Having said that, I have also found that working on a short story can provide a useful change of pace and focus which refreshes me when I get back to the novel. Hang in there - I bet you'll be glad when you're back working on the magnum opus.

NoviceNovelist said...

Thanks Liz and Zinnia - I only had about 30mins to write and clocked up about 500 words on the novel - really boosted my morale.