Monday, April 30, 2007

Where do you write?

I'm always interested to know where people like to write. I indulged myself earlier this year with a new ultra sleek and light laptop so I could lie in bed and write without being burdened by my weighty old beast of a laptop that was very heavy. I also like to lie on the sofa or curled up in an armchair. I don't really like sitting at my desk when I'm writing creatively - it's ok for business type stuff but I like to sprawl. I have a friend who has a disused prison cell for her writing studio. The cells are rented out cheaply to writers, artists etc. She says it is very quiet - eerily so - but she loves it. I dream of having a little summer house at the bottom of my garden where I can escape to and write. There is a space for it and every summer I eye the space up and say 'this year'. I've been out there today sizing the plot up and I'm thinking 'definitely this year.'

7 comments:

Emily Hendricks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emily Hendricks said...

I write sitting crossed legged on my bed, on my living room floor, and on my patio (before it gets too hot in the morning and before the huge mosquitoes come out in the evening). Sometimes I write at my desk, but that's only for business correspondence and the like. Someday I want to get a completely decked out office where I have all the space and the comfort in the world to write. Like you, I say "maybe this year"!

(The first comment I wrote had a huge typo it in, so I deleted and reposted.)

Unknown said...

Dinnin g room table......chaotic but at the heart of the house :-)

Lucy Diamond said...

I love the idea of your summerhouse...sounds blissful, I hope this really is the year you make it a reality!

I write up in the loft, the quietest place in the house, which is also used as a dumping ground for old baby clothes, piles of dusty LPs, boxes and boxes of books...
When we move, I'm hoping to have a room that is just for me, a proper office. I'm really looking forward to that!

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I write creatively anywhere I can reach a keyboard: office desk, living room desk, sofa, train, bed, airport, you name it. Pen and paper is no use to me except for lists. I'd go for the summerhouse if I were you.

NoviceNovelist said...

Thanks for telling me about your physical wriitng style - I love hearing about this kind of stuff - makes me feel less alone when I'm writing!

CL Taylor said...

I'm a laptop lugger too - mostly on the sofa, sometimes at the desk, occasionally on the bed. Unless I'm writing a particularly tricky scene I like a bit of background noise too - preferably the TV, radio or music rather than workmen's drills or screaming neighbours I hasten to add!