Thursday, August 02, 2007

All in the timing

I had an idea for my next novel quite a long time ago and had begun making notes and was getting quite excited about starting it. Then I was watching a movie on the weekend that had a scene shot in a place that reminded me of a house I used to live in. This led me to thinking about that house and the life I led whilst there and the people who were in my life - some of whom still are and a few I haven't seen for years. That night when I went to bed I woke up about 3am with an idea for a story. I scribbled it down (for once I actually forced myself to turn on the light and use my notebook!!!) and when I woke up the next morning and read it back a novel idea clicked into place. This is going to be my next one. I can't believe that only two years ago I had never even thought of writing a novel. Even though I've always written I just never considered the novel as a form for me. Now I have a completed first draft and ideas for two further books - how did that happen?????

Anyway I have a question I'm grappling with at the moment as I read through and make notes on my first draft (up to page 169 of 297) - When do I really start on the next one? I'm not sure on this. Will I get myself tied up in knots if I make a start on a fresh story whilst redrafting my current one? Is it really just up to me to find a process that works for my style? Should I wait until I've sent 'Support Act' out to Agents and then get cracking on the new one?

I can't quite believe I'm even thinking about this - amazing!!!! Well it's back to work for the afternoon with the red pen.

5 comments:

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Some people seem able to work on two or more books at once. I can't, or at least not yet - although that may be partly because my idea for novel 2 is to write a sequel to novel 1, and I think I'd get confused! I was reading recently about someone who works on a first draft in the morning and edits in the afternoon. One day that might work for me. But it does no harm to get one book finished and sent out first, because it usually takes ages for a writer to land an agent, and then more ages for an agent to sell their work to publishers, and then more ages for the book to hit the shelves - by which time you'll probably have written #2. On the other hand, if your new ideas are itching at you, give them a go - as long as that doesn't hold up the rewrite(s) of 'Support Act' too much. Which I guess is a very long-winded way of saying yes, it really is just up to you to find a process that works for your style! Keep us posted, though, won't you?

NoviceNovelist said...

Zinnia, thanks for your comments here - If I had more time I think I would go down the route of editing in the morning to wake me up and writing in the aft as that's when my brain seems to function better. yes by the time I find an agent (fingers crossed as I type that) I could be up to novel 3!!!!! I think I'll stick with SA for a few more weeks then scrtach the itch of the new idea. I guess I'm worried that if I get out of the habit of writing new stuff it'll be hard to get a rythem going again - actually that's exactly it. I hadn't relaised that was my niggle until now. Thanks Zinnia - between your thoughts here and my 2 coffees I now feel fully awake!!! I will certainly let you know how I'm doing. Hope your writing is going well.

Chris Stovell said...

I think you're doing really well! I put all my eggs in one basket and was then struggling with novel 2 whilst novel 1 was with an agent so if you've got an idea then you're ahead of the game. I have, however, been asked to do a substantial re-write by an agent so I'm relieved that I didn't go too far down the second novel route. As Zinnia wisely says you have to find a process that works for you. Good luck.

NoviceNovelist said...

Thanks Chrish - that sounds very promising for you with the agent - keep us posted!

CL Taylor said...

Congrats on fleshing out your idea for novel #2. For me novel #2 is still only a very vague idea at the moment. I STILL haven't started editing novel #1 and it's been a month since I finished it. I guess it's fear mostly and also the sense I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to be doing (despite reading "Self-Editing" and Sol Stein and Gary Provosts books!). Must just bite the bullet and get going!

I really want to start writing some short stories while I'm editing novel #1 so novel #2 will have to wait until it's completely finished and off to an agent!