Wednesday, August 22, 2007

In the moment

I read a quote in the weekend papers that resonated with me. I don't remember who it was (obviosuly my champagne consumption on sat night is haunting me!!!!) It was by a woman who was born in one country and now lived between two others and she said that she worked out a long time ago that she couldn't wish she was in one place when she was in the other - otherwise she would go mad.

I really liked that. Simple but powerful. I have a life that is split between the UK and Australia and sometimes when I think about my life back in OZ and the people there I love and miss I do feel a kind of madness descend and an overwhelming feeling that says I 'can't believe I'm not there right now.' But I am a great follower of 'living in the moment' and this does the trick for me 90% of the time. I'd love a magic wand or a tardis so I could live equally between both but all I have at the moment - which is quite a lot - is the feeling that I am content living in the moment - whether that means looking out at the lush South Downs on this bleak summers day or living a nomadic existence out of a suitcase when I'm back in Oz visiting family and friends.

I've realised that as you go through life and meet people that you form lasting friendships with - it is likely that no matter where you are - there is always someone that you'll be thinking about and missing. The upside of this is that I feel lucky to know and cherish a disparate group of people.
I'll never stop looking for that magic wand though!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I know exactly what you mean.....

A reminder that it's your shout for coffee this week and next over at the novel racers. Is it still ok with you? If not drop me an email. cheers :-)

NoviceNovelist said...

Thanks for the reminder Liz - the coffee pot is washed and the blend chosen!

Unknown said...

Excellant news :-)

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I too know and cherish a disparate group of people, and there's almost always someone I'm thinking of and missing - and I've never lived anywhere but England. (I have lived in a number of different places in England, though.) (And some of my friends have moved abroad, as far away as Sydney, Vancouver Island and Addis Ababa, as well as various places in Europe, so they're not all easy to reach.)

NoviceNovelist said...

Maybe it is a reflection Zinnia on how easy it is to travel these days and how curious we all are about the world out there!