Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Going slow

I'm doing a lot of worrying at the moment interspersed with enthusiastic bursts. Reading and rewriting 'Support Act' is exciting and scary. I'm just trying to be methodical and going slow. I'm trying to hang on to a 'work' ethic of getting the job done rather than going off into mad writer headspace where the critic goes beserk and hurls insults freely that are of no use to me. It's a juggling act. Something else is emerging for me and that's worrying about time for writing. I think it's time for a lifestyle shake up as I really want to get going on the next novel idea. I never thought I'd be saying that.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

NoviceNovelist, I found you through Therese Fowler's blog and even though I'm in the US, I got a UK copy of Souvenir and had the chance to read it. Therese's book is great and I stop at her blog every single day (whether she's posting or not). I just shelved a partial manuscript that I decided wasn't working and started again about a month ago. I'll be checking in with you every day now too. I'm very excited for you that you've completed a manuscript and will be anxiously cheering you on from the sidelines!

Unknown said...

How much time did you give yourself before you began the rewrite? I still haven't been able to tackle A Cornish House - the one I wrote earlier this year. Come Septemember I will do it. For August Rock I found I needed at least a month if not more to find the distance I needed for the work. I also found that Sol Stein's Solutions for Writers was brilliant if you need another book to help you look at work work with a different eye :-) Good luck.

NoviceNovelist said...

Welcome Lisa - thanks for visiting. I hope your writing goes well and thanks for cheering me on - I'll send some cheering back to you!!!! I'm really loving Therese's novel. It's great to read something so well crafted - very inspiring.

Hi Liz - I had just under a month. I've got Sol's book which is excellent isn't it? I bought it after you mentioned it on your blog a while back. I could easily open a thriving second hand shop with all the books I have on the craft of writing!!!! They are a big help and some are constant companions at the moment - Sol's included.