Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Go Slow

I'm mimicking the tube strike in London and having a go slow day. I woke up this morning and thought about all the things I had to do today and for the next few days - the list was overwhelming. I got out of bed and shuffled down to the kitchen, put the kettle on and made the first coffee. I stood drinking it as I looked out at the grey sky and felt the cool, Autumnal air drifting through the kitchen window. Then my great idea came to me - I was going to do everything at my own pace today and since I was feeling sluggish and relaxed - I was going to take it easy. I realise that every single day - including most Sunday's - there is always something on the 'to do' list. I guess that is part of the flow of writing and living.

I quite like a cracking pace most of the time but every now and again my body rhythms reset themselves and tell me to slow down - they also tell me it's time for a holiday! So far this morning I think I have been just as productive as usual - if not more so - yet I feel very calm - almost serene. I'm just going to plod through the day and quietly go about my business.
I'm off into the garden to rake leaves!

2 comments:

Lane Mathias said...

Good for you!
Sometimes a 'slow but steady' pace is actually more productive than running around manically crossing things off the 'to do' list... and a lot more enjoyable.

NoviceNovelist said...

You're right Lane - I had a brilliant day - highly productive and relaxing!