Thursday, July 26, 2007

Shoe Hell




Unfortunately I am not one of life's lucky shoe shoppers so I usually end up with a cupboard full of shoes that are rarely worn yet wistfully gazed at. I have bought, cheap, expensive, 'on sale', schols, homey peds, Dr Martens, shoes with inbuilt massage devices, flatties, tiny heel, platform - you name it - I own it! But all to no avail. I always end up getting twitchy in my shoes and wishing I was wearing someone elses shoes that look really comfortable

There is just something about my feet. They're not huge but they are wide and I do have an instep that you require certified climbing gear to ascend. These features mean that finding a shoe that fits is a hassle. When I got married two years ago I was determined to wear a flashy, dream pair of shoes and I found them in LK Bennets in the exact colour to match my dress and on sale!!! Perfect.

When I got them home I pranced around in them for all of 30secs before realising that my slippery instep wasn't going to hold them in place. Luckily my mother had flown 13,000 miles from Oz just to be standing there at the exact moment to say 'I have an idea of how we can fix this.' She lovingly sewed white elastic onto my gorgeous scarlet satin shoes to hold them in place. It was a good look. Fortunately my dress trailed the floor so only the toes peeped out. There were only a handful of us who knew what I really had under my dress.

When I walked down the aisle to stand next to my husband to be - he lent over and whispered 'I love your shoes'. I made the smart choice never to reveal the white elastic to him. It is one of our marriage's best kept secrets.

The one thing in life guaranteed to cause me enormous anxiety is if I know I'm going out for the day and the night with no chance to change my shoes between activities. If I know I can get back to the car I'll throw a couple of spare pairs in just in case. I know this is bordering on madness but I can't help it.

I'm already fretting about having to spend 4 days working in London in September when I'll be standing for hours on end and flip flops are not an option. If I'm ever disgustingly rich after I've done all the good and ethical things with my money I'm going to find a shoemaker and have them make me the perfect pair of shoes.

At the back of my cupboard the other day I found 5 shoes without partners - they are all favourites from years gone by that I've been unable to throw out even when there is only half a pair left. Sad I know. But I am ever hopeful.

3 comments:

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I have difficult feet too, so you have my sympathy. I spend most of my time in MBT trainers/sandals which work well for me. And I had a pair of boots made about ten years ago, they were very expensive but I've worn them a LOT and they're still going strong so I reckon it was worth it.

Unknown said...

I have a closet full of shoes too but more from reckless spending than lack of comfort...I had terrible troubles until I had my bunion fixed so now I can wear heals again but only for limited periods..........loved the wedding shoe story. Mums are great :-)

NoviceNovelist said...

Hi Zinnia & Liz, It's good to be back after leave. Oh so good to hear I'm not alone on the shoe front! Having a good shoe day today - wore the same pair for 5 hours and someone complimented me on how nice they were!!! Feet currently twitching freely under my desk!!!!

Zinnia - how lovely to have a pair made - sounds like it was defnitely worth it.

Mum's are the best Liz - mine always gets me out of a 'clothing' crisis - she's very handy!!!!