Friday, September 12, 2008

getting organised

I think I used to think I was organised - now I'm not so sure. I've been trying to drum up September energy - you know the kind - new term, end of summer, winter on the way. It always feels like a good time to examine where I'm at and what my goals are. I'm a bit stumped at the planning stage. Do I want a big white board on the wall with daily lists? Do I want discreet notes in a beautiful secret notebook where I allow my deepest dreams to rest? Or do I simply need to read a hard core 'getting on with your life book'. Think I'm in the midst of a mid life crisis.



I can't decide if I'm over the kinds of self help that say 'follow your heart and the cash will follow' or if I need to stop being so cynical and leap from my comfort zone without a bunjee rope and have some faith. I've ordered Twyla Tharps book on creativity from Amazon to see if it can give me a kick start. I may go out and peruse white boards, or buy a fresh notebook...

3 comments:

Beth said...

i can relate to this. i wish i had the courage (or the financial security!) to just jump. maybe my dad will give us some money when he retires... that would be the *best*.

i so wish we had a room that i could use as a study and keep all to myself. unfortunately the room i work in houses the hubby's comics. and there are so, so many of them. ah well....

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Just caught up with your last few posts... I'd say if you can go part-time and still earn enough to maintain a bearable quality of life, then do it. I did and have never ever regretted it. And although I haven't yet made any money from fiction either, I think that beginning to treat my writing as part of my weekly working life has made it more likely that I will start earning from my fiction, and sooner than I would have done if I'd carried on working full time.

NoviceNovelist said...

Hi b & Zinnia, Thanks for your comments. I love your image of all the comics B! Hope your dad is generous to you!!! A benefactor would always be welcome!

It's a dilemma Zinnia and I like your phrase 'bearable quality of life'. I'm giving myself a year to think about this and prove to myself that writing is defnitely my chosen path - then I hope I find the courage to leap!