Friday, January 11, 2008

Space versus Clutter

I was looking forward to coming home to my study after being away for nearly seven weeks. I was missing the solitude I have when I'm in there. The hermit in me was pinning for my space. I had remembered my study as a tidy, bright room but the reality is that it's currently a wild room with pesky piles of 'things' everywhere. This morning is my morning to tidy it and claim it back. To get me in the mood for a session with the Mr Sheen I googled writer's rooms and found this fab site http://books.guardian.co.uk/writersrooms. I really like David Lodge's room but think it will take more than a duster to create that one. My big criteria for a writing space is light. From my generous window here to the side of my desk I can see the sky, the south downs, trees and the rain pelting down. It is a great view. The plan is tidy now and settle in to write for the afternoon.

5 comments:

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I love that site too. My dream is to have a writing room overlooking the sea, perhaps with a view like the one in the picture below. One day maybe.

NoviceNovelist said...

Oh Zinnia - I share your dream - I love looking at the sea. I'm swooning in the aroma of Mr Sheen infused with aloe vera and currently shredding, shredding shredding...study is getting tidy - it's a start!

Jenny Beattie said...

Fantastic link, Novicenovelist, thank you. I now have to go and look at all the rooms!
JJx

Karen said...

Really interesting link. I think you get used to the place where you start to do your writing, and become attached to it quite quickly. I don't mind a bit of mess but too much is distracting!

NoviceNovelist said...

The rooms are fab aren't they JJ?

A bit of mess is good karen but I had a LOT of mess!!!! No more though - I can wallow in self satisfactyion at my tidyness - for now!!