Monday, January 14, 2008

Defnitely Prehistoric

There is a pelican sanctuary just down the beach from the holiday flat we stayed in on the central coast of NSW. Every day at 3:30pm the pelicans get fed and it is amazing. In flight they really look prehistoric. I'd never seen so many before. They were compelling to watch. This piccie cheers me up when I look at it. Not sure why - they look so geeky and robust!

It has been a rough morning - my dad is back in hospital and it wasn't looking good for a while - in between phone calls to my family I began to look at flights to OZ. My stress levels went a bit sky high - he has levelled out a bit now and I'm going to wait 24 hours until I make a decision. I want to go to bed and sleep - I feel so tired but it's more than tired. I feel happier though knowing Dad is comfortable. I know his end is soon and it feels very surreal and sad. I don't really have the words to describe it.

3 comments:

Jenny Beattie said...

I'm sorry to hear the news of your Dad. It must be very hard to be so far away - that's the thing that worries me here in Thailand. I'm glad the picture cheers you up; they are funny looking characters.
JJx

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Not surprised about your stress levels, I guess the uncertainty makes it harder to cope, as well as of course the distance as JJ says. It's good that your dad is being well looked after. That tiredness is part of your grieving response so look after yourself as well, as much as you can in the circumstances.

Pelicans always looked like cartoon birds to me, until I got close to one in an animal sanctuary last summer - then I realised those great big beaks can be scary!!

NoviceNovelist said...

Thanks JJ and Zinnia for your supportive words here. Distance is difficult and the uncertainity is stressful to deal with. But at least I know he is surrounded by family/friends and good professional care.

The pelicans are a mad looking - quite fascinating. I wouldn't want one of those beaks snapping at me though!