Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Cumbria...sigh

Until a week ago I thought no landscape could compete with the highlands of Scotland or the West coast of Ireland in my affections: then I spent a week in the Lakes district. It absolutely captivated me. The landscape is stunningly beautiful and seeps into your soul.

We stayed in a gorgeous cottage that couldn't have been more perfect if we'd created it for ourselves out of thin air. I have always been a big fan of hotels where someone looks after your every need. I'm now a convertee to self catering - but only in perfect cottages in tiny villages surrounded by mountains and with a good pub within staggering distance!

Bliss...

7 comments:

Jenny Beattie said...

That looks absolutely gorgeous.

NoviceNovelist said...

It was sublime JJ!! Great for the soul.

Kit Courteney said...

I was in the Lake District at the end of September. Stunning. And not a drop of rain in sight.

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

It is spectacular up there. And I love holidaying in little cottages, although I do completely agree with you about the need for a good pub (or three) within easy reach on foot.

NoviceNovelist said...

Hi Kit, The sunshine certainly helps you appreciate the stunning views!

Hi Zinnia - Oh the pub was lovely and the food was great! We were a couple of wimps at the bar on the first night though with our glasses of wine whilst around us everyone was downing pints of Sheep!!!! Husband soon got the hang of the brews - I stuck to the wine!!!!

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Hi, I see you haven't blogged for a while - I hope everything's OK. We're guessing you didn't see Liz's recent post on the Novel Racers asking for people's intentions for 2009. Please could you have a look at the post here http://novelracers.blogspot.com/2008/11/race-2009.html and leave a comment to let us know what you'd like to do? Or if you'd prefer to let us know 'off the record', feel free to email me at the address on my blog, or JJ at the address on hers. (I would have sent this by email with a cc to JJ, but I couldn't find an email address for you.) Thanks.

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Just popped back to say happy new year, and I hope 2009 is a whole lot better for you than 2008 was.