Thursday, May 08, 2008

Living on the Coast

It's bliss living on the South Coast at the moment - sun is forever shinning and it's warm. I feel rather smug when talking to Aussie family and friends and they are shivering in front of a heater - well maybe that's a bit of exaggerating. I was up in London y'day and had to take the tube - what an ordeal. Thought I was going to suffocate - it was so lovely to get back on the train and head back down to the coast - I was feeling smug again.

I've rediscovered the short story after years of favouring novels. I'd forgotten how delicious and compact they are when delivered with a skilled eye and wit. Current bedside reads are: Is this what you want? The Asham short story award winners collection, Journeys - Modern Australian short stories and Leading the Dance by Sarah Salway.

Off to consume a short story in the garden in the sun on the lovely south coast!!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The weather sounds bliss.....here it will be 39 and humidity very high. Enjoy it all for me :-)

NoviceNovelist said...

Ah Liz - today is grey and overcast but with the promise of sunshine to come!!! I could do with a couple of days of 39 (but without the humidity) then I think I would expire!!! I trust you have good air conditioning!!!!

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I love short stories too. Just the right length for a bath ;-)

Helen Shearer said...

I haven't read any short stories in years and I've never written one but I think I might try. I've been working on my novel for so long and I'm curious to know what it feels like to finish something.

It's three o'clock in the morning here and I have to be at the office at half-eight but it's about fifteen degrees, raining and quiet and I just can't seem to go to bed. I love rain, but I know I'm going to regret this tomorrow.

NoviceNovelist said...

So true Zinnia! Bath, glass of bubbles and short story...bliss!

Helen, I hadn't written one for a long time and was out of the habit of reading them but I am engrossed at the moment and loving the intensity of them - both to write and read - give it a go.
Hope you made it to work ok - your 3am ambience sounds lovely though!