Friday, February 29, 2008

First Steps

The writing plan is taking shape - I have bought a new notebook to begin scribblings for Novel 2 and have a plan in my head of my approach. With my first novel I had a very haphazard process which was fine but on reflection I would like to try a different process. Novel one began from a tiny idea and several anecdotes and I didn't even know what final form it would take. At that stage the idea of writing a novel had never entered my head. Now that I have novel 1 complete - even though it needs a complete overhaul - I at least now understand the mechanics of 'going the distance.'

I've been reading Robert J Ray & Brett Norris' book 'The weekend novelist' which essentially guides you through a 'process' to write a first draft. I know I won't follow it to the letter but I am going to use it to get started. For this novel I know who the central characters are, what their relationship is (at least at the start of the story) and what the main theme is. I would like to write this in a more linear fashion as I got lost at times with my random writing process on N1. I suppose that I am looking to be more effective with my time and I would like to get this one finished quicker and maintain a more focused writing approach. Fingers are tightly crossed and I feel excited and scared - but more excited!

5 comments:

Jenny Beattie said...

I've been looking at The Weekend Novelist in our bookshop here. Unfortunately, sort of missing the point of book lovers and bookshops, all the books are covered in polythene here. You can ask for them to be opened at the desk, but I usually do only when I'm shortlisting two. Perhaps I'll force them to open it for me.
Good luck with N2.
JJx

NoviceNovelist said...

Hi JJ, I came across it at the Winchester writer's festival last June and a couple of other novelists' I know off have also used it and found it useful. I'm using it as a way to kickstart a new way of writing and then I imagine I'll head off on my own tangent anyway. I like the way it is written - very pragmatic. Let me know if you get to the book beneath the plastic!

Helen Shearer said...

Hi. I don't know anything about The Weekend Novelist but I will certainly look for it. You might want to try the 3-Day Novel Contest for a laugh. They run it every Labour Day weekend and you can participate from anywhere in the world. I did it last year and was amazed that I was able to write slightly less than 18,000 words in 72 hours. It was great fun even though I didn't win and it gave rise to some great ideas.

Unknown said...

Good luck on the new start. I am iching to begin novel three but am trying to disciple myself to rewrite A Cornish House. it was stalling but a light bulb moment came through now I just need to see if it will work!

NoviceNovelist said...

Helen I love the sound of the the 3 day novel comp - 18,000 words in 72 hours - that's phenomenal - I shall go and check it out.

Liz - Those light bulb moments give you such a much needed shot of adrenelin don't they? Hope it's going well.