Friday, May 25, 2007

What day is it?

I'm trying to work out how it got to be Friday. This past few weeks - well the whole month really has gone by in a blur. I can't say I've enjoyed it as I constantly feel like I'm several steps behind where I need to be. I went for a massage on wed to the best masseuse in the whole world and I don;t exaggerate!!!! Emma has the hands of God as I imagne them to be. She offers up an amazing pounding that frees up knots and kinks but she also throws in a great spiritual element - this week is was tuning forks on my spine to free up energy and get my groove moving again!!!! I love it. It always takes a few days for everything to settle down so I think that by tomorrow I should feel the full effects. Because of my odd month I haven't written. Sometimes it really is bloody impossible to figure out where writing comes in a life that already has a full time job and a normal, full personal life. What is the role of writing in all this? Occassionally I think I have it figured out and I get a regualr routine going and then along comes a hectic month and it goes out the window and then I have to start all over again in a sense.

I've booked to go to the Winchester writers conference next month so I'm using that as a starting point and some time for me to think about how writing fits into my life. I'm not expecting a miracle - I just feel I need to be a bit braver about writing. It is important to me and I need to figure out how to keep it as part of my daily life - otherwise I will never get my novel finished or the next one started or my current short story finished or my idea for a poem begun...There has to be a soloution that doesn't involve getting up at 5am!!!!!!

4 comments:

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

It is difficult. For my first draft, I found that bite-sized chunks worked best - 30-60 minutes, three times a week (and usually first thing in the morning, as that is my most creative time, but that did NOT mean 5 am!). One friend has a weekly date with her laptop and spends an evening writing. There isn't a 'right' way, the right way is what works for you. If it's really something you want to do - and considering how far you've got with your first draft, it seems to be - you'll find a way. Maybe even at the writers conference, if not before. I once met a woman on a writing course who was a single parent with three school-age children, a part-time job, and an elderly father who lived with her and needed regular personal care, and she still found time to write. After that, whenever I started to say or even think 'I don't have time to write' I would remember her, feel slightly ashamed of myself and get on with it.

NoviceNovelist said...

Thanks Zinnia - I know it does sound awful to complain about not having time when you know the stresses that other people have in their lives. I'm just going to get on with it! I'm taking advantage of the bad weather today and have a date with my laptop - I'm going to pencil into my diary my writing times as I think that could work - thanks for that idea. I think I need to create a routine and a structure and I'll be fine!!! Thanks - hope yours is going well!

Kate Harrison said...

I hope you got some writing done yesterday in the rain - it is PERFECT writing weather!

And I bet you'll find the conference very helpful, I found it brilliant for the sheer variety of courses. I will see you there, I hope!

Kate

NoviceNovelist said...

Thanks Kate - yes now that winter is back - there is time for writing !!! I'll make sure I come and say hello to you at the confr.
Really looking forward to it.