Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Happy Anniversary Tulips


Today is an anniversary day - I've lived in the UK for 9 years. It's difficult to believe and it's impossible not to be reflective. This time nine years ago I'd been here for 3 hours and was deliriously happy, jet lagged, shell shocked, sad and excited. The first person I saw when I walked through customs was the man I would eventually marry. It was 6am and I'd been travelling for 24 hours from Sydney - and there he was with a huge bunch of flowers and a big, happy smile.

Back in Sydney my departure had been full of tears. I didn't think I'd be gone so long but life changes, no matter how radical they are, soon settle in to just being your life. It took me about 3 years before I stopped reflecting on a weekly basis about where I lived and how my life had changed so dramatically.

My husband gave me beautiful tulips to mark the occasion and I have them in vases all over the house but this is the special bunch in my study. Today I am going to reflect on how wonderful it is to be loved, how sad it is to be so far away from others that I love and how lucky I am to be enjoying a life full of adventures, lovely relationships and passion.

5 comments:

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

A belated happy anniversary to you. And thanks for such an interesting, evocative post.

NoviceNovelist said...

Thanks for popping in Zinnia - nice to hear from you!

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Another belated happy anniversary to you.

I love the picture of your tulips, they're one of my favourite flowers.

NoviceNovelist said...

Hi Debs, I love it when you can get the red ones - I had to reluctantly sent them to the bin y'day - the house is very dull without them!

Unknown said...

Beautiful post and brought back memories for me. I left the states nineteen years ago......still occaisionally get homesick for Cape Cod but I have a life filled with adventure :-)