Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Accidental Carnivore

We went to our lovely local pub last week for 'curry' night. The menu was tantalising and reasonably priced - the atmosphere was warm and buzzy, conversation was great, wine was chilled - what more could you ask for of a night out? I ordered a veggie curry which sounded divine - I'm not a curry connoisseur and on the plate the food was jumbled together and looked and smelt yummy. I was munching away for quite some time then bit into...still distresses me to say it...a mouthful of beef!!!! For the carnivores in the world that probably would have been welcome but I haven't eaten any red meat for about 20 years as I don't like it.

My family tell me that my face contorted into a grimace and I whispered...beef...beef...I've just eaten beef. Husband kindly removed the fork from my frozen hand - midway between mouth and plate and he and daughter did a taste test and actually tried to fib to make me feel better - 'No, no it's not beef - just...just...strong tasting eggplant.' As if. I sat in shock for about 10minutes until a fresh glass of wine was in my hand shortly followed by a dish of chocolate ice cream - then and only then did I relax again.

The staff were very nice about it and I'm sure I was secretly awarded the neurotic customer of the week badge. Ah well. I did manage to finish a short story and submit to a competition - so the week finished on a high after the mid week culinary blip. I shall have to dine out like a royal of old from now on and bring my own living, breather taster - not to check for poison - just beef!

2 comments:

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Ewww, I would have hated that too (I'm also a long-standing veggie). But well done with the story, and best of luck with the competition.

NoviceNovelist said...

Thanks Zinnia - yes it was a ghastly experience!!!